This month has witnessed the largest cyber-attack in history. More than 200000 devices, running earlier versions Microsoft’s Windows, from around the world have been infected by Wannacry Ransomware. So, what is Ransomware?
Ransomware is a virus that takes control of your personal files, encrypting them, and demanding money in return for the decryption key. Basically, you would be switching on your computer to see a pop-up message demanding money.
So how can we protect ourselves? After researching what various security firms have published, here are 5 things you can do to ensure you protect yourself from Ransomware:
- ALWAYS download the latest software updates available, once they are available.
- Make sure to regularly backup your files. As long as you have copies, then you wouldn’t really care that your main files got encrypted.
- Your backup HDD shouldn’t be at all times connected to your PC/Laptop.
- If you’re backing up to the cloud, make sure the applications (Dropbox,onedriveetc…) are not always open. Only access the applications when in need of them, or when backing up.
- Avoid downloading files from people you don’t know
If you would like to learn more, I have found the following article very helpful.